Moldovan authorities intend to terminate the contract on transferring Avia Invest to Chisinau Airport, and the owners of the latter have not changed - Igor Dodon.
This was stated by the President after an urgent meeting of the Supreme Security Council, which considered the only issue - possible risks in case of resale or concession of the concession agreement signed between the Moldovan government and Avia Invest in 2013. The head of state noted that they had been heard representatives of the Ministry of Economy and Infrastructure and other bodies who spoke about measures taken in the last days, weeks, months. Igor Dodon recalled that the concession agreement was signed in the fall of 2013 and provided for the transfer of the Chisinau airport for a concession for a period of 49 years to a private company pledged to invest in the development and modernization of the airport in the amount of 244 million euros. It was not about selling the airport, which remains the property of the state. According to the president, in the opinion of the SSC members, there are reasonable suspicions that already at the time of signing this agreement, the state suffered significant damage, since the agreement states that a private investor has the right to charge 9 euros for each passenger in the capital's airport. Given that last year the number of passengers at Chisinau Airport amounted to 2.8 million people, the concessionaire received 24 million euros from citizens. If you multiply this amount by 49 years, it turns out that a private company will receive about 1 billion euros from citizens, even though it itself has committed to make investments of 244 million euros. Igor Dodon noted that the issue was discussed at a SSC meeting: did or didn’t Avia Invest transfer the right to concession the Chisinau airport to another company. “I want to declare with all responsibility, based on the information received during the SSC meeting, that the shares of the authorized capital of Avia Invest have not been arrested. That is, as mentioned earlier half a year or a year ago, Avia Invest owners, whose names and surnames were mentioned in the press, I don’t want to repeat myself, one owing 95% of the shares, the other 5%, they still are the same owners of the company. There was no sale of shares. In addition, the opportunity to cede shares in the authorized capital of Avia Invest was blocked. Yes, there was an investor who was interested in the airport, but he has been told that everything was blocked, and the state wants to return the right to manage the airport” said the president. According to him, the concession contract must be terminated. “It can be terminated if damage has been caused, or the procedures for signing it have been violated. This should be done by the competent authorities. All individuals involved in the transaction must testify and explain why they signed this document, what were their interests. In addition, many violations were identified at the time of the tender and when signing the contract. We have all the details” the head of state said. He stressed that the concession contract can be terminated if it is established that the investor has not fulfilled his obligations, the investment program. “There are also some questions here. They had to invest 160 million euros in two stages and said they had invested 78 million euros. Specialists must also conduct an audit, find out how and where they invested. There are suspicions that part of the money for investments was taken from the theft of a billion, and investigating authorities are investigate this as well” emphasized Igor Dodon. According to him, Chisinau Airport is a state-owned enterprise, and the state will surely regain the right to manage it. // 23.08.2019 - InfoMarket.